Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

confusing dialect

Yesterday, Vaughn was babbling a ton as he does every day, but it sounded just a little different than usual. Instead of his typical sounds and words of da, ma, ba, aaah, ooh, hi, and whatever else his mouth creates, he started to sound a little Asian. Well, that's what Dave thinks it sounds like. I almost feel like it sounds Swedish. Whatever it is, it is not a Pittsburgh nor Arizona dialect. It's Jap-chine-edish, or something like that. I need to try to record his new language because it is quite difficult to spell out. It involves a lot of oy, oy, yoy, doy, oyoyoy. He does something weird with his tongue though to create the sounds that just makes us giggle.

When I picked him up from daycare today, as soon as I walked in, I could hear Vaughn before seeing him sitting on the floor. The two teachers were laughing at him. Miss Joyce looked up at me from behind the little girl she was holding, and said, "Ummm, what are you teaching him at home?" I gave her a puzzled look when she continued, "because Vaughn sounds like he's speaking a whole other language. He hasn't stopped talking all day."

Hopefully, I can record and remember this new language of his because it makes Dave and I (and his teachers) laugh every time we hear him open his mouth.


oy oi doy woy... (until next time)

No comments: