At school, the kids are constantly climbing. Every time their teacher turns around, they are up on the tables, on chairs, on the play stove, on the bus, on the little stairs, anything they can climb up on. Now, Vaughn has turned into the kid. He loves to climb up on anything. The problem is, he doesn't have one ounce of fear when he does it. I talked to a friend and she said her son loves to climb on everything but will put his hand out when he does something where he can fall. Not Vaughn! The other day I watched him push his recliner over to the couch, stand on the recliner, do a little dance, climb on the couch, and then try to flail himself backwards...until I ran over and caught him as he was in the air. Thankfully, I was there or he would've hit the coffee table or tile floor - both ending in a bloody mess.
On Monday, I bought Vaughn some diapers. I brought them in the kitchen as I put some other things away. I looked around the island to see him standing on the tiny little box. And then, of course, when got on top, he started to dance until he almost fell off. In a way, I thought it was hilarious, but then deep down inside, I got very nervous. My little climber dancer is bound to get hurt. I know, I know, it's part of growing up and I need to let him learn, however, our tile floors are not the most falling-friendly floors to land on.
So lately, to help Vaughn's need to climb (and dance), I've been trying to take him to the park as much as possible. We are so thankful to live in a neighborhood that has playgrounds everywhere. I stick Vaughn in the bike trailer (best thing ever!) and ride around to different playgrounds so he can get out and climb then move on to the next one.
Sooner or later, he will learn what his boundaries are and I will hopefully get a little more comfortable with the whole idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment