Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

boy toys

Not that I want to genderize toys, but our culture has already done that for us and apparently, babies are born with certain characteristics that make them like certain toys over other. Apparently.

(yes, I just used made up the word, genderize, but I like it so I'm sticking with it...)

Dollies and pink things are what girls like, and boys are rough and tough while wrestling and playing with cars and trucks. Where is the Tim Allen growl, when I need it?

When I pick Vaughn up from school everyday, before we leave, I grab his "Daily Log". Since he became a whale Vaughn's log always reads that he is "happy", "helpful", "friendly" and "busy". The other options they have are chatty, sleepy, teary, curious, cranky and quiet so I am always happy to see that he is happy!

Another section of his log is titled, "Today I enjoyed..." For the entire two and a half months I have been receiving these logs, the "Housekeeping" and "Manipulatives" categories are always circled. The boy loves to clean. Around the house, he is already becoming such a huge help wiping the windows with dirty rags, using the toilet bowl scrubber to splash water from the toilet to the floor so he can wipe it up with my bath towel and using the broom or swiffer to move the dirt around. He's still in the learning phase, but sure loves to think he's a master cleaner.

Deep inside, I was hoping I would see cars & trucks circled. I really don't know why because Dave and I have agreed we are goign to let Vaughn be the best Vaughn he can be. However, just a piece of me wanted to see that he was crashing cars with the rest of the boys (and yes, I'm sure there are girls who like little metal things with wheels). Today was the day! My elated feelings were swallowed up with guilt of wanting my son to play with "boy toys."

I felt better as I looked at the category two lines up with a big circle around it. Yep, housekeeping! Either way, I love my rough and tough, super sweet loving, broom using, and NOW truck and car playing little baby boy. Oh, Vaughny Poo, how I love you!

No comments: