Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It was bound to happen

***2 MONTHS***
Vaughn's nails grow so fast. I find myself cutting them every other day; sometimes, they get cut every day. If I don't cut them, he wakes up in the morning with little scratches on his face. Before he was born, I thought Dave would be the one to cut his nails. Instead, I have been given the nail cutting duty.

The best time to cut his nails is when he's eating. He's often drowsy when nursing, which is a perfect time to get his little hand wrapped around my finger so I can cut his nails without him moving around too much. Today, I had all of his fingers done. All I had left was his right thumb, the hardest finger to clip. I pressed down on the nail clippers to hear a wail followed by what seemed like 10 minutes of silence (10 minutes = 2-3 seconds) followed by more wailing. It was awful. I cut off his thumb. Well, not really, but that's what I felt like for how hard he was crying. A little tiny bit of blood came out. In a panic, I jumped up to go get a cold compress then had Vaughn latch back on for comfort. In between suckles were little sniffles that just broke my heart.

I cried, called Dave to tell him what I did, then Vaughn calmed down, and everything was okay. Now I'm hesitant to trim his nails but continue to do it every one to two days. This is just something that will prepare me for his future boo boos. I do know, though, that I am the one who can comfort him. It was an amazing feeling afterward to have him hold on to me so tightly.

No comments: