Tonight, I learned that it's really hard to give a fourteen month old soup for dinner. I found a butternut squash recipe that looked really good. I've had it for a while and decided since Vaughn loves butternut squash, that it would be a good choice for dinner. When it's cold outside, I just love to eat some warm yummy soup.
What the heck was I thinking?
I basically tried giving a baby something that requires great coordination with a spoon, something Vaughn lacks, understandably.
With the soup, I also made a snapper and veggie dish which I figured he could eat the squash, zucchini and peppers. That didn't go over very well because the veggies were really fishy from cooking underneath, what do you know, a piece of fishy fish. Vaughn has had crab and liked it, but wasn't liking the snapper. In fact, he threw his bowl on the floor and took every bit of fish off of his tongue with a very disgusted look on his face.
That left him with just the soup to eat, which he LOVED. However, as mentioned, it was hard to get the soup in his mouth. It was EVERYWHERE! He was letting me give it to him, but got frustrated taking little bites, that he tried using his spoon himself. Fail! Soup everywhere, none made it to Vaughn's mouth. Then, he tried to pick the soup up with his fingers. Fail! Not much soup made it to Vaughn's mouth. We even tried giving him a straw to drink it up, but he looked at us like we were crazy. So, he ended up sticking his face in the bowl. Dave then helped him lift the bowl up so he could drink it.
Moral of the story, Vaughn couldn't get enough soup that he loved so much because there weren't many ways to get it into his mouth. Babies aren't made out to eat soup. I need to give it about a year.
By the end of dinner, Vaughn ended up eating a piece of peanut butter toast covered in butternut squash soup.

No comments:
Post a Comment