As of this week, Vaughn officially has a mommy to take care of him all day every day...and that mommmy is me! I never imagined being a stay at home mom. It's not that I didn't want to, I just never thought it would be possible. Now that I have been given this gift (as it's truly a God-given gift to be able to raise my little blessing), I have had a really rough time with it. I turned in all my stuff on Tuesday. Vaughn got to come with me to see what was my office. He was a little fussy, but it was nice to have one of the volunteers there to hold him the whole time. I left not feeling any regret. I actually felt great about the situation. Then, it hit me that night. For no reason, I was very crabby towards Vaughn and Dave. Then the floodgates opened.
Since I was 15 years old, I worked. I've worked really hard to be the best at whatever it was I was doing froms scooping ice cream to filing papers to being the best Volunteer Manager I could be. I loved my job at Habitat and have a passion for the mission. Striving for excellence in a way that is measurable is what I live for. That's who I am. I felt that I wouldn't be able to measure my successes with Vaughn. After having a wonderful long conversation with my amazing husband, I came to the realization that I am so extremely blessed to have the opportunity to experience every milestone Vaughn achieves. And it is very measureable. Every time he smiles, makes a new noise, rolls over, sleeps through the night amongst all the other things he does, it'll be because he has a loving mommy to help him grow and prosper.
I need to realize, too, that this is a career. I am making a difference. I'm making a different in a life I brought into this world. This article from salary.com helped me see the significance of the career of the Stay-at-home Mother.
This week, I begin each day with a prayer to God. A prayer of thanks for my baby boy, Vaughn. I ask for a clean and open heart so that I can be the best for Vaughn. God has blessed me with a wonderful mood all week. If I feel this way with a baby who only sleeps, eats and goes to the bathroom, I can only imagine what I'll feel like when he's crawling, walking, talking and more.
No comments:
Post a Comment