Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

*Baby Steps* 6 months old

Previously, I named this kind of post "Look What Vaughn Did." I had an epiphany and decided Baby Steps was more appropriate since I am marking all the milestones, benchmarks and other "firsts" in Vaughn's life. I love looking back at these posts to see how far he has come and how much more he's going to do in the next weeks and months.

Vaughn at six months has been pure fun. His personality continues to bud. It's amazing how he's his own person at even such a young age. He gets frustrated that he can't just get to the place he wants without someone picking him up or helping him, but he knows what he wants. I just keep thinking how crazy it is that even though he's so tiny and dependent he still has his own mind, likes and dislikes. I just love it. I pray that I'm able to guide him in helping him make HIS decisions. I know it'll be hard to let go more and more as he grows, but he is his own person with his own little brain. It's amazing to see God's hand at work in my little baby boy as he becomes more aware of his body and surroundings.

In addition to his personality, Vaughn's appearance has really began to change as well. His hair is really starting to grow in where he went bald, he got two teeth (wow!), and he's getting some meat on his bones. His physical strength continues to astonish us. He now holds himself up on furniture, walks when we hold his hands, and rolls from one side of the of the room to the other side.

Our love for Vaughny Poo continues to explode as well. We love him so much, we can't explain it. No matter how much stress we're under or how much of a bad day we're having, all we need to do is look at Vaughn's huge smile (and now that smile contains two really cute teeth) to realize nothing else matters but...family.

4/14/10: Today marks the first night of four that daddy is not here. Vaughn got to hear his voice on the phone causing him to smile. I could tell he was confused though. I'm curious to see how he acts when Dave comes back home on Sunday (he's in Pennsylvania golfing with the men in his family).

4/15/10: First time at the pool. It was very hot for an April day so we decided to check out the baby pool in our community. I didn't even put my bathing suit on because I had a feeling Vaughn wouldn't like it. I was completely wrong. He liked it so much, I ended up getting drenched in my clothes! He was splashing his feet with the biggest smile on his face. Actually, all day today, he's been the happiest baby ever, laughing and smiling all day.

4/21/10: Vaughn woke up for the first time with an eye crusty. haha!

4/22/10: I spotted two teethies wanting to make their way into the world. Vaughn is finally starting to get some teeth after all that slobber. Now, he's slobbering in gobbs and gobbs of spit. I'm sure it'll just be a matter of days before our little man has two bottom teeth.
 4/24/10: They're here! I was in the kitchen tonight when Vaughn grabbed my finger to put it in his mouth. Then instead of feeling smooth gums against my finger, I felt two little somethings that hurt. It was his two teeth. I just put him down for bed and bet we'll be able to see two full teeth by the morning.

4/25/10: Dave gave in and let me take Vaughn to the Preschool at church today. He did great! Dave, that is. Well, Vaughn did too. His little "report" card said he was friendly and happy. They even changed his diaper because he was wet. During church, Dave kept checking the pager they gave us which never went off. It was so nice to be able to hear the sermon again (the family room is a tad bit noisy). I think I might start volunteering again knowing that Vaughn is safe in Baby Rays.

4/29/10:
We went to the Habitat for Humanity Staff Meeting today to celebrate my former boss's time at Habitat since she is resigning. On the way, Vaughn was awake the entire trip to Glendale, but did not cry once. This was the very first time. I looked back into the mirror to see him playing with Dino (his stuffed lion). I could hear him talking to himself. I loved it!

At the end of the meeting while many different people were holding Vaughn, he turned outward and reached for me. It was the first time, I'm sure of many, where Vaughn's little fingers stretched out for me. It melted my heart. But then, he started reaching for other people when I held him. I think he thought it was a game based on our reactions.

4/30/10: Last night Vaughn went to bed at 7:00pm and woke up three hours later at 10:00pm. He's never done that. When Dave went to check on him, he smelled what was wrong. Then, Vaughn screamed horribly as Dave changed him. We don't know how long it stayed in his diaper but his poor little butt and entire nether regions were raw. He was not a happy baby. This was the first time he's had such diaper rash. I'm told it's from teething...5/1/10: He's all clear and feeling much better!

5/1/10: Apples! Vaughn really enjoys his homemade apple sauce. I don't even need to mix them with cereal.

5/2/10: Over the past few days, Vaughn has really started babbling. Instead of just making ooh and ahh sounds, he has full conversations with himself or his toys. He now says the consonant sounds of m, n, d, b, and it sounds like he says wow a lot. Dave might get to finally hear him say dada very soon.

5/6/10: Vaughn rode on a plane for the first time and did great. He got fussy a few times, but we were fortunate to be sitting next to a midwife who Vaughn loved. Anytime he got sleepy, I just nursed him to sleep. I don't want to make that a habit but it worked for the plane. We arrived in Pennsylvania at 9:30pm then made it to Grammy's house by 11:00pm. Vaughn was a trooper.


5/7/10: Vaughn spent his first night away from me. He stayed at Grammy's house with daddy. Apparently, he went right to bed when they got home and slept in until 9:45am! It wasn't until later in the day that he cried a lot for me. I missed my little guy!


5/8/10: Vaughn attended his first wedding - Mr. and Mrs. Dan and Lauren DiGiovine. Nunny watched him during the ceremony which he didn't care for so much. He just wanted his mommy but I couldn't be with him. It was heartbreaking, but he eventually got over it in time to play with Pappy and Uncle G.

5/11/10: We now have a new bedtime routine. To keep Vaughn from relying on eating to fall asleep, we have decided to feed him a bottle/nurse him (me not Dave...haha) while reading a book, then bath time followed by Dave lathering him in lotion and dressing him for bed. Then, we both give him a kiss and put him in the crib with the mobile on. He did not cry at all tonight. After the lullaby ended, he closed his eyes for the night.

No comments: