Post-Vaughn, grocery shopping is a journey. The days of just putting my list together and hopping in the car are long gone! Firstly, the whole list is a process in itself as if I do it while Vaughn is awake, it takes forever with multiple interruptions. Then, once we are ready to head out, I need to check that I have all our vitals - diapers, wipes, sippy cup, snacks, toys, extra set of clothes, shopping cart cover, my water, my phone, and the most important item, the baby! I strap everything onto my shoulder with Vaughn on my hip and proceed to load everything into the car.
THEN, I park and get Vaughn out right away. I don't think I've mentioned this before but it's H-O-T here in Arizona. After I get him out of the car, I put the ice pack into his car seat so it's nice and cool for our return. I then grab my purse and water and check that I have everything including any coupons. I skillfully put the cover on the cart one-handed, plop the baby into the seat, buckle him in, and quickly head into the air-conditioned store.
The shopping part is still fairly quick since Vaughn just sits there staring at all people and items we pass. He's quite good in the cart. I guess it's because he can't say, "I want that" yet. The one thing that makes the trip a little longer is the baby section is in the far back corner of the store. I also have a problem with looking at baby toys and clothes. I said looking, not buying :). There is a certain amount of time I have before Vaughn is ready to leave. In record time, I finish my shopping then head towards the check out line.
Oh, and if I have to go to the bathroom, that just complicates the whole situation. Unfortunately, I have a bladder of an old lady and when I have to go, I have to GO! Just ask Dave! I will spare you the mundane details of figuring where to put Vaughn while I go and while I wash and dry my hands, but let's just say it's adds an additional five to ten minutes.
After we are all done, it's time to race and load all of my purchases into the car. This is something I don't feel I have mastered yet. I don't like to put Vaughn in the car because he will melt, but I also don't like leaving him out in the cart while I turn on the car or put the groceries in the back seat. Lately, I've just pushed the cart very close to the car, so I can lean in through the passenger seat and turn the car (Read: AIR CONDITIONING) on. He's still left hanging out in the parking lot, but it seems to work okay. Once all the groceries are in the car, in goes Vaughn. He doesn't like the whole getting strapped into the car seat part so I have to sing a special song I made up...
Tune: The Hokie Pokie
Put your right arm in,
Put your left arm in,
Snap the buckle together
And shake it to make sure it's good
Do the car seat Pokie and
Give a little shout...
That's what it's all about!
Surprisingly, it helps a lot. Often he gets distracted by my singing, grabs a toy and calms down. Now, for the rest of the ride it's hit or miss. He's doing better in the car as he'll actually play or sleep, but sometimes he just likes to cry.
The last part of our journey brings us home. I get Vaughn and all of our goodies out then try to distract Vaughn with the exersaucer or Johnny Jump Up so I can put everything away before Rocco eats it.
Whew! I'm exhausted just writing about this journey to the...
Grocery Store!
1 comment:
Isn't it crazy how complicated things become post-baby? ;)
Next, you'll have to master shopping w/ 2 kids! :)
I also look for parking spots that are close to a cart return station and close to the entrance of the store. Bonus points if I can find a spot in the shade!
stephanie@metropolitanmama.net
Post a Comment