Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sew Fun

I learned how to use a sewing machine last night thanks to my amazing friend, Daneé. I told her a few months ago that as soon as I can afford it, I was going to enroll in some sewing classes at somewhere like Joann Fabrics. Daneé told me not to waste my money on classes because she could teach me. With a baby, there are so many things I want to make and I just have a boy; imagine the projects there will be to create if I ever have a girl. I love homemade items because of the heart put into them, but also because I can construct exactly what I want and it's a lot cheaper.

Another friend and I went over to Daneé's house last night with our fabric and projects in mind. I wanted to make two small squares for Vaughn to use as "lovies" or "silkies". He can't have a big blanket in the crib yet so a little piece of fabric would be perfect. Little did I know how much work would go into a little square. There was pinning, sewing, unpinning, spraying, ironing, turning inside out, folding, pinning, sewing, etc. Once I got the hang of not pulling the fabric through the machine, it was "sew" fun. Please don't judge; I know I'm a dork!

Since I had some extra fabric left, Daneé decided I was going to make a pair of pajama pants. There wasn't enough fabric of just one pattern so we combined the two. We totally guessed on the size knowing that the waste would be elastic. We agreed that if they were too short, we would just call them capris. After putting them on Vaughn today, they are totally high waters or capris. Hey, John Mayer wears them; not that I want Vaughn to be anything like John Mayer. Well, if he was an amazing musician, I would be fine with that...

...wait, where was I? Oh, yes! Pajama pants!
The pants are so funny looking with bright yellow and bugs on the front and bright green with fishies on the backside. (Actually, I think I put them on backwards)...but, I MADE THEM! They were so much fun to make, and I had a great time with the girls while doing it.

Now that I have the basics down, I'm ready for my next project. I guess, I need a sewing machine first since the one I have is good for small little touch ups and hems. That will be the next step then it's on to blankies and hoodie towels and shirts and hats and whatever else I find to do. Poor Vaughn!

No comments: