I had major mommy brain today. When I say mommy brain, I don't just mean that I forget stuff, but I also take FOREVER to do anything and always have so much STUFF! I really thought I would adjust to this whole having another person to tote along a lot sooner. I need to figure this out before I go crazy!
This morning, Vaughn and I went to the gym. Last night, I looked up the classes to see which one I was going to go to by myself for the first time. This was my chance to be a big girl! Well, this morning didn't go as planned at all thanks to my mommy brain.
Vaughn slept in until 8:20am! I had gotten up around 8, pumped, and got Vaughn's bottle and breakfast ready. By the time I was done in the kitchen, Vaughn woke up and was ready for his bottle. He ate in bed with Dave while I took a shower. After I got ready, I was just piddlefarting around with Vaughn when I realized it was already after 9! I made his infant reservation at the gym for 9:30am and he still needed dressed and fed. I rushed around, not leaving the house until 9:25am. When we got to the gym, I quickly grabbed my purse, pool bag, diaper bag and Vaughn. He had pooped on the way there so I had to change him once we got to the childcare center. Finally, I took him back to the infant room and was ready to work out!
I went into the locker room to drop my stuff off when I realized I forgot my water bottle in the childcare center. At this point, there was no way I would make it up to the room to get a spot before 9:45am (and the fact that I'm a chicken and am scared to go by myself anyways...I really need to get over that!) so I just decided to go on the elliptical. As I was working out, I was nervous that I wouldn't hear if they paged me to get Vaughn. Every time someone made an announcement over the PA system, I would take my headphones off and try to listen for my name. They called for about five people and I was on the elliptical for 17 minutes when I heard it, "Attention Lifetime members, will Adriane Thompson report to the Childcare Center? Will Adriane Thompson report to the Childcare Center?"
I grabbed my stuff then went down to pick Vaughn up. When I got in there, I could hear him crying so I had to go into the locker room to get my stuff since he can't go into the ladies' locker room. As I turned the corner, I saw a girl rocking a very upset screaming baby boy, my baby boy! He conformed to my body and released a big sigh of relief as I held him in my arms. I grabbed all my stuff and headed to the family locker room so we could go swimming.
After changing into my suit, changing Vaughn into his swimmie diaper and bathing suit, I nursed him, then gathered all my stuff and headed towards the pool. Vaughn was sleepy, but we were able to have some fun in the pool. He even ate some snacks. After Vaughn kept trying to take my suit off to snuggle so he could sleep, I once again gathered up all my stuff and went back inside to get dressed so we could get home. We both got dressed in record time. I put my purse, diaper bag and pool bag onto my shoulder, held Vaughn in my other arm, then I threw our suits in the machine to get all the water out. We threw the towels in the bin and were ready to go. There was one thing I wanted to grab before heading out, my keys.
To get my keys, I had to take all my stuff, put it down and sit Vaughn on the benched. I opened my purse to find NO KEYS! UGH! I was so frustrated. I searched every pocket in my purse. I pulled everything out of the pool bag. I searched the diaper bag. I retraced everywhere I was. I asked the front desk lady, but she had no keys. I went back to the child care center and no keys. I went into both locker rooms and no keys. The childcare center even held Vaughn for me so I could research my bags. NO KEYS! I was so proud of myself for not getting upset. I didn't even feel like I was going to cry which is so unlike me when things aren't going the right way.
As my last resort, I called Dave to tell him I didn't have my keys. He was on his way to meet with a client, but calmly said he would call the client to tell him he was going to be late and was on his way to rescue me. Even though it was over 100 degrees, I didn't want to stay inside just in case someone found my keys and wanted to steal the car. Something told me to look in the diaper bag one more time so I did. There they were in the side pocket! I immediately called Dave to tell him I found the keys. I cried. Man, I was doing so well too!
Dave was amazing. He told me not to be so hard on myself, everything was fine, and that he wasn't going to be late after all. I feel like many husbands in this situation would get frustrated and upset with me. Instead, Dave was so nice to me.
Vaughn fell asleep before I could even strap him into the car seat. We came home, I fed him, and he's been sleeping ever since.
I learned a lot today...I need to figure out how to minimize all the stuff I have for me and the baby. I need to pay attention to where I put things. I need to get up earlier so I have enough time to get places on time. I hope to take today and actually change some things. We'll see how it goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment