Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Elbow, Elbow, Knee, Up

Vaughn had his first swim lesson today! As part of rejoining Lifetime, I got some LT Bucks which I decided to use for Vaughn's swim lessons. From talking to other moms, it seems like many swim lessons at Vaughn's age are a waste of time and money as all they do is bounce in the water and splash. Therefore, going into these lessons, I didn't expect anything great. I was surprised to find that Vaughn actually learned something. Also, he was quite pleasant for the entire 30 minutes. An added bonus was that Grammy and Super Grammy (great grandma...Dave decided to start calling her Super Grammy instead) got to be there as well!

We started out with a little song to the tune of "Wheels on the Bus." Then, Vaughn got to "crawl" across the beach entry to look for little frogs. He did this so well as he crawls like a frog so it totally looked like he was swimming across the floor. After he got four frogs, we moved to the wall where he learned how to crawl out of the pool. We did this exercise over and over again. It started out with "elbow (left elbow), elbow (right elbow), knee (right knee up on the wall), then crawl out. After a few tries, Vaughn crawled out of the pool all on his own! Once he crawled out, he was to either sit on his bottom or stand up then I would count, "One, two, three" and pull him into the water followed by a dunk. Since Vaughn doesn't know how to hold his breath yet, I blew in his face. Surprisingly, he didn't seemed bothered by the submersion at all. After the wall exercises, we worked on "ice cream scoops" by moving his arms and a lot of kicking, all of which I had to do for him. The class ended with a little ring around the rosie with his classmate, Nora. (We actually know Nora from the library so that was nice to have class with a familiar face).

Besides all the different activities we did, Vaughn just enjoyed yelling to hear his echo in the indoor pool. He squealed and squeaked almost the entire time.
During class, I noticed Vaughn had pooped. Yes, of course, what is a blog entry without the subject of poop! Thankfully it all stayed in the diaper until after we were finished. It was a MESS though when we went to change him. Let's just say pool water and poop in a swim diaper don't mix too well. Grammy was super amazing though and changed his diaper the best she could then I just got a shower with him. It was a little bit of everywhere.
After swim lessons and all the mess, Vaughn had a snack with Grammy and Super Grammy in the cafe while I went to Baby's R Us to get more swim diapers. When I got back, we all went swimming in the outdoor pool with Lisa and Ryder.

Our next lesson is next Thursday. Until then, we'll be practicing elbow, elbow, knee, up...one, two, three, under!

No comments: