Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Consistency - Day 1

***4 MONTHS***
Today marked the first day where I am diligently trying to develop a nap/eat/play schedule for Vaughn. I've read a ton of information on the subject of sleep training. A lot of the information focuses on nighttime sleeping, which Vaughn is a pro at. When it's time for bed, we put him in his crib awake. It takes him no longer than two minutes to close his eyes and sleep for seven to ten hours until the next morning. Napping, on the other hand as mentioned previously is a WHOLE other story.

The key is to be consistent daily. Last night, I typed up a daily schedule (Monday/Friday/Saturday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday schedules) based on the activities we do such as Stroller Strides. Well, Stroller Strides makes up most of what we have planned for the week. These schedules helped me evaluate Vaughn's typical wake/sleep patterns. I took this information and tried to create a similar schedule every day as Vaughn does not know a Wednesday from a Sunday; it is all the same to him. Also, I created this document with the understanding that it will be used as a guide and not an absolute.

So today, it all began.

Since we don't have Stroller Strides on Wednesdays, I wanted to keep the same morning ritual of getting up, getting dressed, eating, and heading the park so we took Rocco to the park we have Stroller Strides because there is a dog park. Rocco had a great time chasing after balls and sniffing dogs while Vaughn hung out (literally) in the Baby Bjorn facing out so he could see all the puppies. On our way home, instead of crying like he typically does, Vaughn fell asleep immediately. He didn't even wake when we pulled into the driveway. Since I would like for him to either eat, play, nap or nap, eat, play when we get home from the park, I decided to keep him asleep in the car seat. I am also really trying to get him to nap in his room with his normal sounds of the white noise, fan and heater. All of this equaled me putting Vaughn and the car seat in his crib so that I could see him on the video monitor. In a way it was funny, but it totally worked. I did not think it was dangerous, but just in case, I kept him on the TV the entire time so I could see his every move. Vaughn ended up sleeping for a total of 50 minutes.

The rest of the naps didn't go so well. Actually, they didn't happen at all. First, I would like to say that when I say "he cried for the entire hour" it means, that he cried while I continuously went in to his room to check on him and attempt to soothe him. It's the Cry It Out Sleep Training Method (CIO). So after his car seat nap, we went up to Habitat to have lunch with Lisa. On our way back, Vaughn fell asleep again but only until we got off at our exit. When we got home, he ate then we played in the back yard since it was so beautiful outside. Then, it was time for nap number two. Or should I say, cry fest number two. Poor Vaughn cried the entire hour. I got him up, changed him and then proceeded to give him lots of love. 
After Dave got home, we finished up our snuggle session on the back porch just in time for nap number three. I was convinced he would fall asleep, but he proved me wrong! Instead, he cried the entire hour while I made and Dave and I ate dinner. Vaughn almost fell asleep so many times, but fought it with every bit of his teeny body. I picked him up and gave him the biggest hug. I just held him in my arms feeling like the worst mom ever. As he sniffled, he looked up at me with his super wet blue eyes then puked all over me and him. I cried to Dave. It was awful, but Dave reassured me that what we're doing is right. I'm going to confirm it with the doctor tomorrow.

The rest of the night went well. Vaughn was super smiley and talkative helping me realize he didn't hate me too bad. I played with him, Dave and I gave him a bath, Dave put his jammies on, I nursed him, Dave gave him a bottle and then put him down for the night. He made one peep, then fell asleep.

I'm hoping that I can look back at this months (wishfully, weeks) from now to realize that it was all worth it. And then years from now, he'll be such a good napper that I'll forget we even had this debacle. Every sniffle, cry and scream has a purpose. It's all to get Vaughn to have a good sleep pattern so he can grow strong and be a healthy little boy. I pray that tomorrow goes much better despite the fact that he has to get his four month shots. Now that I think about it, I don't know that starting all of this scheduling stuff today was the best, but I guess only time will tell after the shots.

I also pray that God makes me stronger...Dave tried gluing my heart back together today (he even blew the pretend glue dry), but I'm going to need more than glue if Vaughn is going to keep crying like this! He can do it, he can do it, he can be a good napper, he has it in him, he can...

No comments: