2 a.m. Vaughn has not gotten up at 2 a.m. since he was a newborn. How did we do it?
Dave and I were both woken up from Vaughn's screaming and whimpering. We either thought he pooped or his teeth were bothering him. Instead, he had a very high fever around 102.5. I did everything possible to comfort him but nothing was working. I rocked him, walked around with him (which I should add is much tougher when the baby weighs 22 pounds instead of nine), patted his back, rubbed his back, changed his diaper, put a cold wash cloth on his neck, but nothing seemed to help. I felt helpless. He, I'm sure, did too. I tried laying him down, but after 10-15 minutes of crying, I went back into his room. At this point, I was very tired myself and felt like crying with Vaughn.
Then, daddy came in to help. Vaughn wrapped his little arms around Dave's neck and calmed down. Then he pushed off of him and wanted me. Immediately after he hugged me, it was back to Dave. He wasn't crying anymore, but was quite indecisive about whose love he wanted. Even though I was cranky, it was the cutest thing ever to see him wanting BOTH of his parents to comfort him. Can I say, precious?!
Finally, Dave suggested he take him. I went back to bed. Dave came in shortly after with a huge smile of accomplishment on his face. Vaughn was in his crib asleep!
Dave and I looked at each other with such love for our sick baby. I think we even talked a little and at this point it was 4 a.m. Even though we both had to work the next day, it was worth it...another precious moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment